Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Weighty Matters

Soooo....

Front Range CrossFit posted their meet schedule today.

Here it is.

When I saw it, my heart sank.  I was hoping that the 69kg class (which I signed up for) would be part of the lightweights OR that at least the 63kg class would be part of the heavies.  Not because I have any hopes for standing on the podium - not even close.   I lift significantly lighter than the other women.  So at the 69kg class, I most certainly will complete all 3 of my snatches before the next woman starts lifting.

Basically it will be me opening the second half of the meet like this:
Me snatch 1
Me snatch 2
Me snatch 3
....aaaaaaand then about 30kg more added to the bar so that they can begin the actual competition.

This is a lot of pressure.  Especially for someone who may fold under pressure.  If I could lift in the lightweight class, I'd at least have 1 or 2 lifters that had comparable weights as me.  Sure, they'd probably be women who weigh in under 48kg, but at least I wouldn't have to follow myself for all of my lifts.

I spent a good hour fretting and beating myself up for eating so poorly in Florida and being bitchy to my sweet undeserving husband.  Then I emailed the schedule link to Neil with a note reminding him that I currently weigh 141.5 lbs.  63kg = 138.5 lbs.  A difference of 3 pounds. His response:

"As your coach, if it really is 3 pounds I recommend losing it to lift in session 1.  Let's talk about how to do that."

I was working at a coffee shop when he called. The first question out of his mouth was whether I was interested in dropping 3 lbs. before the meet.  I said yes.  In the 1-second space between my answer and his next sentence, I thought, "Oh crap, is he going to offer me drugs?" Thankfully it was nothing that severe.  I am to limit sodium, carbs, fruit and starchy things like potatoes. That's it. In fact, I am pretty unconvinced this is going to work, especially since I don't eat a ton of grains/carbs in the first place. I have a little oatmeal in the mornings, but that's about it.  I do eat a lot of fruit.  And coconut cream concentrate.

Never being one to just take advice and relax, I immediately googled "diuretic foods" and made a shopping list and diet plan for the next 2.5 days.  I also researched how to lose water weight quickly.  I'm hoping dietary changes will be enough, but if not I'm prepared to try sweating it out.   A quick phone call to my (doctor) sister confirmed that 3 lbs can probably be dropped safely.  But that I may diet and sweat and restrict water and STILL come in .5 lb too much, so I should prepare myself to lift with the heavies just in case.

Three pounds in 2.5 days.  I really hope this works.

You know, every once in a while I step back and realize that this is just all so nuts.  I'm 35, about to compete in a competition I probably never should have signed up for and am now getting advice from bodybuilding websites on how to cut water weight. Who am I???

No comments:

Post a Comment